⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 DSG clarification: time series & lat/lon coordinates

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:03:47 +0000

Hello John

> But in case its helpful, I have found it important to separate the data model and the encoding of the model in the netCDF file.

I agree this is a crucial factor, it is foremost in my mind.

For me the question I want to see addressed and concluded comes down to how we interpret the encoding of the scalar coordinate variable.

Do we:
  A. recognise a semantic scalar coordinate and clearly define its properties such that it is able to deliver the required functionality for the range of uses described in the conventions and in common use in the community.

  B. deny the presence of a semantic scalar coordinate and apply a variety of conditional cases to the scalar coordinate variable encoding to try and decide what nature of vector coordinate with which properties should be interpreted from a particular encoding.

  C. ??

I favour option A, I think this is deliverable with a simple and coherent definition of the scalar coordinate variable in the conventions document and the semantics of a scalar coordinate within the model.

mark