⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: lifted_index

From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 16:50:39 -0400

Dear Philip,

Following up with your suggestion regarding splitting the proposed
standard name into two names, here are my proposed names along with the
two coordinate variables:

Standard Name: temperature_difference_between_ambient_air_and_air_lifted_adiabatically_from_the_surface

Definition:This quantity is defined as the temperature difference
between a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from the surface to a
finishing air pressure in the troposphere and the ambient air
temperature at the finishing air pressure in the troposphere. It is
often called the lifted index (LI) and provides a measure of the
instability of the atmosphere. The air parcel is "lifted" by moving the
air parcel from the surface to the Lifting Condensation Level (dry
adiabatically) and then from the Lifting Condensation Level to the
finishing air pressure (wet adiabatically). Air temperature is the bulk
temperature of the air, not the surface (skin) temperature. The term
"surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. A coordinate
variable of air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_finish can be specified to
indicate the specific air pressure that the temperature difference is
calculated at.

Canonical Units: K

Standard Name:

temperature_difference_between_ambient_air_and_air_lifted_adiabatically

Definition:This quantity is defined as the temperature difference
between a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from a starting air
pressure to a finishing air pressure in the troposphere and the ambient
air temperature at the finishing air pressure in the troposphere. It is
often called the lifted index (LI) and provides a measure of the
instability of the atmosphere. The air parcel is "lifted" by moving the
air parcel from the starting air pressure to the Lifting Condensation
Level (dry adiabatically) and then from the Lifting Condensation Level
to the finishing air pressure (wet adiabatically). Air temperature is
the bulk temperature of the air. Coordinate variables of
air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_start and
air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_finish can be specified to indicate the
specific air pressures at which the parcel lifting starts (starting air
pressure) and the temperature difference is calculated at (finishing air
pressure), respectively.

Canonical Units:K

Associated coordinate variables:

Standard_names:

air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_origin

air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_finish

Definitions:

Various stability and convective potential indices are calculated by

"lifting" a parcel of air: moving it dry adiabatically from a starting

height (often the surface) to the Lifting Condensation Level, and then

wet adiabatically from there to an ending height (often the top of

the data/model/atmosphere). air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_origin

[finish] is the pressure height at the start [end] of lifting.

Canonical units: Pa

Please let me know how these sound.

Sincerely,

Jonathan