⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: lifted_index

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:26:51 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

Looks good to me! I'm happy that it's useful for your case as well
as the ones I'm proposing.

Philip has suggested we switch from _at_origin to _at_start for the
standard_names, arguing that it's less ambiguous.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

--Seth

On Wed, 29 May 2013 11:06:28 -0400
 Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny at aer.com> wrote:
>Hi Seth,
>
>Finally getting back to you e-mail after a long weekend...
>
>You raise a good point about the two levels used for many of the stability
>indices. You're right, it would be nice to have this information in the
>definition for the these data products in case data users/modelers need it. I
>think adding your two proposed standard names for the start and finish height
>is a good idea. I've taken my proposed definition of lifted index and added
>the sentence you suggested. Also, I added an additional sentence to discuss
>the scenario where the parcel is not lifted "from the surface" but from
>another pressure level. Here is my current proposal:
>
>Standard Name:

 temperature_difference_between_ambient_air_and_air_lifted_adiabatically_from_the_surface