⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: total_totals_index

From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:33:39 -0400

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for the information. I will definitely go with your suggestion -
simplicity is good. Here is the current proposal:

Standard Name:

atmosphere_stability_total_totals_index

Definition:

The atmosphere_stability_total_totals_index indicates the likelihood of severe convection and is often referred to as simply the
total totals index. The index is derived from the difference in air temperature between 850 and 500 hPa (the vertical totals) and the difference between the dew point temperature at 850 hPa and the air temperature at 500 hPa (the cross totals). The vertical totals and cross totals are summed to obtain the index.

Canonical Units: K

Sincerely,

Jonathan