⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: lifted_index

From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:30:50 -0400

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply to this post. I see your point of view. I guess
it would be odd if a name "lifted_index" was adopted when the general
naming paradigm for the CF standard names is to attempt to phrase each
quantity in general atmospheric terms so that they are general purpose
across all disciplines. I can see the advantage of each approach you
mention, but it does seem best (if possible) to try to generally define
each name. In terms of the GOES-R atmospheric products, there will be
four atmospheric stability indices (of which I've only posted two so
far). In thinking about them, I believe that two of them could have
general names - like the one you've suggested below - while the other
two are sufficiently complex that a name such as
"atmospheric_stability_total_totals_index" will be necessary.

The "lifted_index" is simple enough so that your proposed name should
work well. In light of your suggestions, these could be the
name/definition/units:

Standard Name:
temperature_difference_between_ambient_air_and_surface_air_lifted_adiabatically

Definition: This quantity is defined as the temperature difference
between a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from the surface to a given
air pressure in the troposphere and the ambient air temperature at a
given air pressure in the troposphere. It is often called the lifted
index (LI) and provides a measure of the instability of the atmosphere.
The air parcel is "lifted" by moving the air parcel from the surface to
the Lifting Condensation Level (dry adiabatically) and then from the
Lifting Condensation Level to a given air pressure (wet adiabatically).
Air temperature is the bulk temperature of the air, not the surface
(skin) temperature. The term "surface" means the lower boundary of the
atmosphere. A coordinate variable of air_pressure can be specified to
indicate the specific air pressure that the temperature difference is
calculated at.

Canonical Units: K

Sincerely,

Jonathan