⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to capture horizontal spatial resolution of imagery in a standard way

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:31:22 +0100

Dear Randy

The area of cells can be recorded in a variable pointed by the
cell_measures attribute. I think that a scalar cell_measures could be provided
if all the cells were the same size. Thus, there is a CF way of storing this
information but, as with the difference between coordinates, you might regard
it as an inconvenient place to store it.

We could define more attributes to store the typical resolution or cell size
but they would be redundant i.e. they would duplicate other information. That
makes me nervous! I suspect that the need you identify is for "discovery
metadata" - is that right? i.e. summary information about the dataset. CF
already provides sufficient "use metadata" for programs to interpret the data
properly.

CF has very few facilities for discovery metadata but there are other
conventions available, I believe. This question has come up from time to time
before and I am sure there are subscribers to this list who could comment.

----- Forwarded message from Randy Horne <rhorne at excaliburlabs.com> -----