⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Shortwave Downward Radiation

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 17:19:52 -0700

Dear Charles,

I think the standard name you are considering is appropriate for your
data. Downwelling shortwave flux includes both diffuse and direct
beam, and the diffuse includes everything not direct (i.e., it includes
stuff that got reflected upward by the surface). As I recall, "net" is
used when considering the difference between downwelling and upwelling
components. Here you consider only the "downwelling" component (even if
some of it traversed an upward path at some point before arriving at the
surface), so "net" is not what is meant.

I hope someone else will read this and disagree if I've said anything
incorrect.

Karl