⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New reflectance standard names

From: Ted Kennelly <ekennell>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 16:59:36 -0400

Jonathan - thanks for the comments.

I would like to propose an amendment to the names, i.e. to replace
"reflectance" with "albedo".
Reflectance is the ratio of outgoing radiance to incoming irradiance
giving it units of per steradians.
Albedo is the ratio of outgoing irradiance to incoming irradiance and is
unitless.
Because the proposed quantity is unitless, albedo is the better term.
However, albedo is the integral over all angles of the bidirectional
reflectance. In general, true
planetary albedo would account for this angular dependence. To make
clear the
assumption regarding the Lambertian surface I still propose using the
term Lambertian
equivalent in the name. Thus:

toa_Lambertian_equivalent_albedo

and

toa_Lambertian_equivalent_albdeo_multiplied_by_cosine_solar_zenith_angle

Currently, there is no very clear definition of planetary albedo or
other related quantities in CF standard names
with which to follow. The definitions I proposed will need to be
modified to coincide with the name change
from reflectance to albedo.

Ted