⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Consistent standard_names for satellite derived radiance quantities

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:35:27 +0100

Dear Randy

I am not sure it is necessary to make this distinction in the standard name
> 1) Power integrated over all wavelengths.
> 3) Power integrated over a discrete bandpass.
For instance
> standard_name: toa_outgoing_radiance
> standard_name: toa_outgoing_inband_radiance
have the same canonical units of W m-2 sr-1 and are the same except for the
above distinction. Is it sufficient to make this distinction solely by the
presence or absence of a coordinate variable of radiation_wavelength? Its
bounds specify the wavelength band, if it is supplied, and if it is omitted
then the integral is over all wavelengths. That would be simple, I think, and
only the first standard_name of this pair would be needed for both.