⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question from NODC about interplay of standard name modifiers, cell_methods, etc.

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 09:12:53 -0700

Hi All,

All interesting questions are questions of balance. This discussion
raises interesting questions. What are the issues we are balancing.

  * On the one side is *technical precision*: how to correctly describe
    the transformations that have been applied
  * Balancing this is *usability*: end users need to easily understand
    and use the data in these files

Our current encoding (standard_name and cell_methods) does well on
technical precision and poorly on usability. A user who selects a
variable with standard_name "sea water temperature", downloads it, and
then realizes only after looking at a plot that it is a variance of sea
water temperature, will understandably feel that she has been mislead.
Blaming the user for ignorance or the designer of search engines for
neglect is not a balanced outlook imho. We can foresee this problem (as
demonstrated by this thread). _It is our responsibility as designers is
to minimize the opportunities for confusion._

How can we strike this balance? That's the (entirely constructive)
topic that I'd lobby we should be addressing. I've included an
off-the-cuff proposal below in a P.S. I'm sure there are better ideas
out there.

     - Steve

P.S. One proposal: in all cases where a significant transformation (to
be defined) has been applied to the data after is has been measured, the
standard_name gets a generic modifier, say "(transformed)".
             ==> *"sea water temperature (transformed)"*
This will serve as a signal that forewarns users that the variable is
not simply "sea water temperature".