⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601 (standard_name or units?)

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:08:26 +0300

On Mar 28, 2013, at 22:23, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> If it's not going to be used as the time coordinate, then we don't need a standard_name or unit for it, as you don't need libraries to be able to universally auto-detect it and be able to compute with it.

Perhaps true in your set of requirements, but not in mine. I want the entire data file to be computable (as much as possible), because the systems I want to build -- and allow others to build -- will not scale otherwise.

It may seem odd to make netCDF with CF the base of a computable architecture, given the original motivation for standard names was more narrow (as I am slowly learning). But netCDF/CF is such a strong start toward more complete interoperability, and netCDF is used as the basis of data storage so often in this community, that I keep trying to pull it in that direction (of more complete and computable interoperability). Perhaps it is a bridge too far, and another path is warranted.

John

John Graybeal
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org
graybeal at marinemetadata.org