⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question from NODC about interplay of standard name modifiers, cell_methods, etc.

From: Kenneth S. Casey - NOAA Federal <kenneth.casey>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:53:08 -0400

Steve,

It is a good point you make and we can revisit our long_names used in this product (our netCDF files are still in development). I think the parameter like sea water temperature (it is not actually SST) was left out since there are many of these files, each with a different parameter (Salinity, dissolved oxygen, etc.) and the code used to write the attributes probably didn't account for that.

Jonathan,

Thanks for your response too (copied here? is it bad form in a listserv to consolidate responses like this?)

> Dear Ken
>
> The cell_methods would indicate standard deviation. This allows you to say
> whether you mean standard deviation over time, latitude, longitude or whatever
> dimension, so it's more precise - which one do you mean, in fact?
>
> By the way, in cell_methods there should be a space after ":" e.g.
> "area: mean".
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jonathan
That answer seems so easy and obvious that I wonder if I asked the question properly! I'll have to ask Tim to be sure, but I think the standard deviation is the standard deviation over time, of means generated in each time-area-depth cell. Thanks also for noticing the missing space.

But I think the question still remains about being able to use a standard name, which we would like to do of course? I am pretty sure in this example for this standard deviation variable we should NOT use sea_water_temperature for standard_name, and that it would be good if there were more standard name modifiers to choose from. If there were, perhaps we could set standard name to something like "sea_water_temperature standard_deviation".

Ken