⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:04:21 -0700

Hi John,

I'm probably repeating what others have said, but allowing strings as
actual (rather than ancillary) coordinate values would break lots of
"quick look" software which can't plot variables which are "functions"
of a string representation of the independent variable (i.e, time). If
I'm correct about this, I think making the proposed change to CF would
be a mistake.

If the alternate string representation is stored as an ancillary
variable, a human reading the ncdump would immediately see what the
"dates" are, and the software would continue to work by reading the
actual coordinate values.

Karl