⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601 (standard_name or units?)

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:19:40 -0700

Hi Aleksander,

A question to debate in your trac ticket. Per the CF documentation, the
definition of the standard_name is "/The name used to identify the
physical quantity/"
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/cf-conventions.html#standard-name).
It is the 'units' string (together with the netCDF data type) that
describe how that physical quantity is represented as a value in the
binary file.

A standard_name for the physical quantity time already exists, of course
-- it is "time". It is listed as such in the CF standards names table.
So should "datetime_iso8601" be a proposal for a new and recognized
value of the time 'units' attribute, rather than a new standard_name?
This isn't so clear. To start answering it ...

What is the reason that standard names exist? Arguably they are to
guide generic software (including metadata search engines) in their
ability to locate physical quantities in a CF file. In that case it is
standard_name ="time" that should guide the software to the variable;
and units="datetime_iso8601" that will instruct the software on how to
interpret the values it finds there.

     - Steve