⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for ocean model turbulent quantities

From: Tuomas Karna <karnat>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:50:18 -0700

Dear Allison,

Thank you for your comments. I'd propose some further changes to the
definitions:

1. "specific_turbulent_kinetic_energy_of_sea_water (m2 s-2)"
As turbulent kinetic energy is not necessary equivalent to model's
subgrid scale eddy kinetic energy, I'd formulate the definition as:
' "Specific" means per unit mass. "Turbulent kinetic energy" is the
kinetic energy of small scale turbulent fluctuations of the flow. '

2. "specific_turbulent_kinetic_energy_dissipation_in_sea_water (W kg-1)"
The definition would then become:
' "Specific" means per unit mass. "Turbulent kinetic energy" is the
kinetic energy of small scale turbulent fluctuations of the flow. The
dissipation of kinetic energy arises in ocean models as a result of the
viscosity of sea water.'

3. "turbulent_mixing_length_of_sea_water (m)"
' "Turbulent mixing length" is used in models to describe the macro
length scale of energy-containing eddies in a turbulent flow. '

If these definitions seems too vague, I can try to elaborate them futher.

Best regards,

Tuomas Karna

Post-Doctoral Fellow
Center for Coastal Margin Observation and Prediction (CMOP)
Oregon Health and Science University
karnat at stccmop.org