⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:30:44 +0000

Hi all,

I think Steve has got to the heart of the issue with his comment, "IMHO it is the client libraries that hold the answer to this question."

However you choose to peer into your netCDF files you are seeing them through the lens of a "client library". And it's worth noting that date/times aren't special in this regard, this is just as true for floating point numbers.

With the Iris library(*), we are working towards improving the readability and usability of date/times because we recognise that simply displaying "35246 hours since 1970-01-01" is essentially meaningless to a human. From what I've seen, I think we can all agree on that! So we want our users to be able to see date/times in a human-readable form, but that certainly doesn't mean we will represent them that way internally.

The only real benefit I can see for the string representation is that _some_ date/time values can be made more human-readable when viewed through client libraries which don't support the machine-readable-to-human-readable conversion. But if the library can't do machine-to-human then it probably can't do human-to-machine. In which case there's very little you can actually _do_ with the date/time values (e.g. determine ordering or compute intervals). If the library is that limited then adding the string representation to CF isn't really fixing the right problem. If you'll excuse the analogy, it's like taking the engine out of a car because the brakes don't work.

In short, I am against the addition of a string representation for date/times.

*) Iris - a candidate reference implementation of CF implemented in Python (http://scitools.org.uk/).

Richard Hattersley Iris Benevolent Dictator
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702