⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for standard names: tropospheric trace gas column amounts

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:17:44 +0000

Dear Andreas, All,

In December Andreas Hilboll proposed eight new standard names for tropospheric trace gases along with their units and definitions. The proposals generated comments from a number of contributors. Generally, I think there was support for the names and definitions as proposed. There was, however, some discussion about units. Andreas originally proposed "molecules cm-2" but Sander pointed out that it would be inconsistent to use "mole" in the name and "molecule" in the unit. Philip and Roy both strongly supported using "mole m-2" which is the unit of 23 existing mole_content/tendency_of_mole_content names. I also support using mol m-2.

I have listed below the names, units and definitions according to the latest consensus view on the mailing list (as of 22 December). Andreas, please can you indicate whether you are happy with units of mol m-2? If so, then I think the names can be accepted in their present form and included in the next update of the standard name table.

If mol m-2 is not acceptable, then we would probably need to change the names to be something like "[strato|tropo]sphere_molecular_content_of_X" but that would also require asking for molecules to be added as a unit to UDUNITS or at least adding them to a CF extension of UDUNITS.

The current consensus view on the proposals is as follows:

stratosphere_mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "stratosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the tropopause to the stratopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for nitrogen_dioxide is NO2.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for nitrogen_dioxide is NO2.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_glyoxal (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for glyoxal is CHOCHO. The IUPAC name for glyoxal is ethanedial.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_formaldehyde (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for formaldehyde is CH2O. The IUPAC name for formaldehyde is methanal.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_iodine_monoxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for iodine_monoxide is IO.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_bromine_monoxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for bromine_monoxide is BrO.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_sulfur_dioxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for suflur_dioxide is SO2.'

troposphere_mole_content_of_ozone (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "troposphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the tropopause. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for ozone is O3. The IUPAC name for ozone is trioxygen.'

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065