⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] any convention for variables abbreviation ?

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:28:47 -0800

Hi Nicolas,

Various organizations enforce their own standards for abbreviated names
in CF files -- OceanSites, Argo, WMO, .... CF, itself, does not.

The reason that CF does not attempt to standardize the names of
variables (which is how the abbreviations are used in the above cases),
is to leave open the possibility that a single file may contain multiple
variables representing the same quantity. For example, SST as measured
by satellite and as measured in situ could potentially be in the same
file. The long_name attribute can be used to differentiate how
multiple representations of the same variable were derived.

     - Steve