⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ancillary Data

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:15:19 -0000

Hello CF community

I have been perusing the CF conventions again, particularly the section on Ancillary Data
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/ch03s04.html

The conventions make the statement:

  The nature of the relationship between variables associated via ancillary_variables must be determined by other attributes.

The example given provides data variables which reference the same dimensions in the file: thus they data arrays are the same size. However, the conventions do not seem to mandate this.

I am interested in the use of the
  ancillary_variables
attribute in real world datasets.

Do people have examples they can share of ancillary datasets which:

  a. reference the same file dimensions as the data variable with the ancillary_variables attribute references

  b. reference a subset of the file dimensions referenced by the data variable with the ancillary_variables attribute

  c. reference file dimensions which are not referenced by the data variable with the ancillary_variables attribute

I am particularly interested in examples of case c, as I feel this is markedly different from cases a and b and requires a different kind of support if it is in use.

many thanks
mark