⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sea_water_pressure

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:32:31 +0000

Dear Roy,

Thank you for your proposal for the name sea_water_pressure_due_to_sea_water defined as ' The pressure that exists in the medium of sea water due to overlying sea water. Excludes the pressure due to sea ice, air and any other medium that may be present.'

I assume that the canonical unit for this quantity should be dbar, as is the case for existing sea_water_pressure names.

Thank you to Philip and John for their comments in this thread.

I think we should add a cross-reference to sea_water_pressure in the definition of the proposed name: 'For sea water pressure including the pressure due to overlying media other than sea water, the standard name sea_water_pressure should be used.'

Similarly, we should add a cross-reference to the definition of sea_water_pressure: 'For sea water pressure excluding the pressure due to overlying media other than sea water, the standard name sea_water_pressure_due_to_sea_water should be used.'

With these additions the proposed name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added at the next update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065