⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of the 'Conventions' attribute (Phil Bentley)

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:58:54 +0000

Hi Phil,

     while I agree with you that the only clean solution would have to be defined in the netcdf API itself (not in CF), I don't think that groups are what we are looking for here. This namespace thing is entirely related to attributes, while groups are a variable concept. What would help were "hierarchical attributes", so that one could define metadata "groups" just as in an XML file. Possibly something like

    float myvar(dim1, dim2)
          cf_attributes:
                standard_name: "..."
                units: "..."
         OSD_attributes:
                measurement_principle: "..."

etc.pp. -- only this would make reading netcdf files a wee bit more complicated ;-(

Best regards,

Martin

>Perhaps the only solution lies in using netCDF-4's existing namespacing
>mechanism, namely groups (which idea has been proposed before). I
>suspect this too will have it's adherents and detractors!

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt