⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of the 'Conventions' attribute

From: David Hassell <d.c.hassell>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:05:31 +0000

Hello Nan, et al.,

> Any of these special characters, other than the '_', would probably
> cause problems for code that deals with NetCDF files. The '.' is
> used in Matlab for access to structures, and the '_at_' is used to
> identify a variable as a function handle. There are work-arounds,
> but they likely wouldn't add efficiency or elegance to our code.

I have a grave feeling that I'm missing your point here, but the
attribute names are just strings which need to be split according to a
string-valued delimiter. There is no interaction with the syntax of
the processing language, surely?

> I agree with Roy that CF should be the default namespace in a CF
> compliant file, and that this problem belongs to groups that are writing
> extensions.

I aggree with this, too.

All the best,

David

--
David Hassell
National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS)
E-mail: d.c.hassell at reading.ac.uk