⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of the 'Conventions' attribute

From: David Hassell <d.c.hassell>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:12:20 +0000

Hello Phil,

> But, assuming these could be resolved, what do people think about
> use of '.' as a namespace separator? Good idea? Bad idea?
>
> Some recent postings to this list have suggested using a 'cf_'
> prefix, with the implied suggestion of a '_' namespace
> separator. IMHO, this approach has the limitation that client
> software would not be able to disambiguate existing names which
> include the '_' character. For example, would the name
> 'cell_methods' refer to a property called 'cell_methods' in some
> default namespace, or a property called 'methods' in the 'cell'
> namespace? Likewise for some possible new attribute called,
> e.g. 'cf_my_new_thing', what namespace would that be in? cf? cf_my?
> cf_my_new?

I like the idea of a '.' separator as you describe it. As you say, CF
specifically rules this character and it would seem a simple addition
to section 2.3 of the conventions to allow them on the understanding
that they are only to be used when identifing namespaces and so may be
interpreted in that light by any software able to do so. Or taken at
face value by software which doesn't know of the convention or of the
given namespace.

David

--
David Hassell
National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS)
E-mail: d.c.hassell at reading.ac.uk