⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for ozone partial column in atmosphere layer

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:31:43 +0000

Hi Alison, Christophe, et al.,

I agree that this name follows existing patterns.

It would be good to add a comment similar to the one we added for atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone (although we don't currently have the corresponding layer version of equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content, so the wording will need to be tweaked):

"N.B. Data variables containing column content of ozone can be given the standard name of either equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content or atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone.The latter name is recommended for consistency with mole content names for chemical species other than ozone."

Although this shouldn't affect the current proposal, I note for the record that it seems strange that for the Integral of the whole atmosphere our pattern is:

atmosphere_X_content

But for a partial integral we put 'atmosphere' after X:

X_content_of_atmosphere_layer

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.