⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:00:46 +0100

Le 15/01/2013 20:23, John Graybeal a ?crit :
> Bruno,
>
> Given solar_azimuth_angle parallels this definition pretty closely, would you be OK with the originally proposed name if the definition is clear?

  First, I apologize for not beeing able to answer yesterday.

   It is true if you explain "platform_azimuth_angle" by giving the
analogue of "solar_azimuth_angle", things become clear.

   But I whish to remind that there are contexts where the word
"azimuth" is defined as the quantity also named "yaw". Cf. my old
message
http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2008/052686.html where
I explained that in some books, the angle between the platform axis and
a fixed direction is called Azimuth, and noted Psi, and it is
acknowledged that it is sometimes called the yaw angle.

   For CF, I would propose to stick to one definition of azimuth, which
will be repeated every in all definition where it appears (as it is
commonly done in the cf-standard-name-table).
   I propose : Azimuth is the angle between a reference direction
(usually the North) and the projection on a reference plane (usually the
local horizon) of a vector from an specific location to a point of interest.

Your opinion ?

Bruno.