⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sea_water_pressure

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 01:30:41 +0000

Hi John,

I have seen similar situations in atmospheric chemistry. I participated in an intercomparison in which we submitted exactly what the std_name required, only to find out that every other group had submitted what they assumed it meant, which was several orders of magnitude different.

I think the bar for retroactively changing a definition should be very high (without commenting on the merits of your case). One thing we can do to help, without causing any problems, is to add to existing descriptions a list of related std_names so that a user will get a 'heads up' to look at other std_names. I know this is only a partial solution, but better than nothing.

Best wishes,

     Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.