⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for column amounts (atmospheric chemistry)

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:52:47 +0000

Hi Andreas,

Good news: we have recently been discussing just such a quantity on this email list. The quantity was specifically for ozone, but can easily be proposed for other species.

The title of the email discussion was: "new standard name proposal for total ozone in DU".

The current status of that discussion seems to be that we will add the following to the CF std_name list:

   atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone [units of mol/m2]

Definition: "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The
"atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral
from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between
specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including
content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction
"atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for ozone is O3.
atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone is usually measured in Dobson Units
(DU) which are equivalent to 446.2 micromoles m-2.
Note: Ozone columns can be stored in either equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content or atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone.

If you have any comment about this, please do so quickly as the discussion appeared to have ended, so the discussion could be closed and finalized at any time.

If you want to limit the vertical extent, you could either do so by proposing a new standard name based on mole_content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer, or by proposing new standard names in which 'atmosphere' is replaced by 'tropsphere' or 'stratosphere', if that is more appropriate. These would all be natural extensions of the existing std_names (IMHO).

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.