⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: CF calendars

From: Ansley Manke <ansley.b.manke>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:28:59 -0800

Hi,
A difficult topic - I have some comments, only on the issue of
climatologies.

The CF standard does have a definition for climatology.
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/cf-conventions.html#climatological-statistics

It uses the "climatology" attribute on a time coordinate variable to
state that the dimension is a climatology. It defines a means for
representing not only the coordinates i.e. the day, month, or season
where there is an average over a range of years (or other intervals). It
also has a method for saying what time range of original data that mean
represents. The examples there show the coordinate data defined as dates
within one year, and coordinate bounds saying that the climatological
average or other statistic was computed from data over a specified range
of dates. The "cell_methods" attribute on the data field gives even
more information about how the climatology was computed. The standard
allows for a way to represent other kinds of climatologies than yearly
ones: decadal averages, average in each hour of the day, etc.

I agree that unless the software implements this whole set of
attributes, it seems confusing to have these years on the coordinate
data, and Ferret software doesn't implement this part of the standard.
It seems to me that the standard as it's in the CF document could be
implemented in software without confusing the non-scientific end users,
but it would need some translation from what's in the datasets to
something that would be helpful to the casual user.

What Ferret does is to expand a bit on what the COARDS standard did (the
COARDS treatment of climatological time is outlined in the CF document
section I linked above). We recognize as a climatological axis any axis
whose coordinate data starts in year 0 or year 1 and has an extent of a
year or less. When data is visualized or listed, we do not list a year,
but show data only as "January", for instance, so our treatment of
climatologie is much the same as what Cathy is describing.

-Ansley