⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF calendars (was: problem with times in PSD dataset)

From: Jon Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:55:39 +0000

Dear Jonathan, all,

Just to repeat a remark that Steve Hankin made whose implications have not been explored in this discussion: different countries adopted the Gregorian calendar at different times. (Greece didn't adopt it till 1923!) So what is considered a valid Gregorian date varies from country to country (and some of those countries don't even exist any more, or at least the boundaries have changed...)

This has two main implications:

1. I don't agree with the proposal for a "strict Gregorian" calendar - the proposed switchover of 1582 is largely meaningless.

2. The non-proleptic Gregorian calendar is extremely problematic for historical observations as well as for models (astronomers use the Julian calendar consistently for this reason).

Also, there are a couple of ambiguities in CF, which have also been brought up before but not resolved. Time axes are recorded as a sequence of numbers representing a certain number of intervals since a specified datum. The datum is part of the units string of the time axis and is recorded in a kind of pseudo-ISO format (e.g. "1970-1-1 0:0:0"). Should the datum always be interpreted as a date/time in the mixed Gregorian/Julian calendar (as specified by UDUNITS) or in the calendar system specified in the CF file (which would probably be more sensible)? Also, should interval lengths (e.g. months and years) be interpreted as the UDUNITS lengths (this is specified in CF but is not always helpful) or should these vary by calendar (which is again perhaps sensible, and some data providers do this)?

Hope this helps,
Jon