⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name proposal for total ozone in DU

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 07:35:59 +0000

Dear all,

      I would also like to support this proposal. And I thank Philip for his careful thinking.

>> If these were the only aspects to consider then I would be against the new std_name. However, there
>> are many more species than ozone, and ozone is the only one that I see expressed as equivalent thickness.
>> This means that we will surely end up wanting atmosphere_mole_content for other species, so it makes
>> sense to have it for ozone too. For me, this tips the balance in favor of accepting the proposed std_name.

     Wouldn't this even call for recommending the use of atmosphere_mole_content as preferred option? Since both quantities are essentially the same and both are reported in DU, it will be merely a naming thing in practice. The advantage being that it will be easier for outsiders to understand that an atmosphere_mole_content of ozone is the same concept as an atmosphere_mole_content of some other species, whereas this gets lost if the default for ozone is equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content while all other compounds use atmosphere_mole_content.

    Should we even go as far as to deprecate the use of equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content?

    Philip also raises a good point with respect to alias names: has it been stated clearly that they must refer to "exactly the same quantity"? I believe they should, because if we allow "trivial" unit conversions to count as aliases, then even "wavelength" and "frequency" could be considered of aliases, which surely no one would want.

Best regards,

Martin