⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name proposal for total ozone in DU

From: Christophe Lerot <Christophe.Lerot>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:49:00 +0100

Dear CF colleagues,

I've already exchanged some e-mails with some of you about the
appropriate standard variable to use for total ozone columns in Dobson
Units. It turns out that there is currently no suitable standard name
for this.

So I'd like to propose the following variable name for total ozone
columns based on recommendations I was given:
- "atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone" expressed in Dobson Units. Dobson
Unit (DU) is already defined in the UDUNIT package ans is equivalent to
446.2 micromoles m-2.
- The definition would be something like :
"Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content"
of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the
top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the
atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are
used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the
vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The
chemical formula for ozone is O3.

Thank you for considering this new variable name.

Best regards,
Christophe

Dr. Christophe LEROT
Belgian Institute for Space Aeronomy