⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] inclusion of GridSpec in CF?

From: Allyn Treshansky <allyn.treshansky>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:02:55 -0700

Hello.

I am confused as to the relationship between GridSpec and the official
CF Conventions. In particular, it's not clear whether or not GridSpec
is part of the latest version (v1.6).

According to the CF Tracker [https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/63],
the GridSpec proposal has been approved. However, there is no mention
of it in the latest Convention Documentation
[http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/cf-conventions.html].
The ticket does reference a formal extension to CF
[https://ice.txcorp.com/trac/modave/wiki/CFProposalGridspec].
Presumably, this is what users should reference for GridSpec
documentation. Is that correct, or is there another document we should
be using? And it remains odd that there is no link from the v1.6
documentation to GridSpec documentation (either that techX page or
another one).

Assuming that the techX page is the correct location for GridSpec CF
documentation, it is lacking any version information. How will future
governance be handled without that? Should we consider the page as it
stands CF version 1.6?

Also, can the GridSpec convention only be expressed as a netCDF file?
Are there other formats (such as XML) for the CF Conventions that
support GridSpec?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Allyn

--
Allyn Treshansky
NESII/CIRES/NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory
Email: allyn.treshansky at noaa.gov
Phone: +1 303-497-7734