⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] #94: Proposal for a CF String Syntax (CFSS)

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 14:41:46 -0600

>> For our application in semantic mediation, the separators chosen don't
>> matter much, as long as the syntax is unambiguous, extensible, and
>> backward compatible with standard names of data.
>> The proposed syntax favors economy and a familiar CF style, as
>> advised by Jonathan. (You did split it up right :-) )
>
>It really needs another separator, though.
>
>Core Issue: Either whitespace is a separator, or it is allowed in the
>fields -- in this case, it seems to be both, and that just makes it
>hard to deal with, even if well defined
>
>-Chris

May I suggest using a semicolon to separate name-value pairs? That reads
naturally and is easy to parse:

x_wind

x_wind height: 10 m

x_wind height: 10 m; time: mean; region: atlantic_ocean

x_wind, y_wind height: 10 m; time: mean; region: atlantic_ocean;

height: 10 m; time: mean; region: atlantic_ocean

(I also favor allowing an optional trailing semicolon on the final name-value
pair.)