⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Extensions to the Standard Name table

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:43:39 +0000

Dear Roy,

     thanks a lot for this nice example of true interoperability. Yet, two questions remain: 1) what I would be even more interested in is the inverse problem, i.e. given a standard_name, I would like to know which compound it contains. 2) I expect that this is more difficult, in particular if we don't know a priori that the given standard_name does contain a compound name. Generally, this is where I see the difficulty with your brokered approach: how do you find out which controlled vocabulary list(s) have to be applied in order to identify the components of a standard_name? Think of "tendency_of_X_due_to_emissions_from_Y" where you want to link both the compound and the emission sector to the respecitve controlled vocabulary table. Then, in another standard_name you will find some marine bacteria or so which relate to yet another vocabulary list, and so on. Unless I miss the point here, I would still argue that it will be more efficient and less ambiguous if the link would be provided in the standard_name
table itself.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Martin