⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Another potentially useful extension to the standard_name table

From: Robert Muetzelfeldt <r.muetzelfeldt>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:21:13 +0100

Hi Martin,

Is there some reason why the <entry> element must have a flat set of
sub-elements, as in your example below? It seems to me that from an
XML data-design point-of-view, a neater data model would be:
<entry id="...">
<compound_name>...</compound_name> See note [1] below
<compound_codelist>...</compound_codelist>
<canonical_units> ...see note [2] below ...</canonical_units>
<description>...</description>
<attribute_list>
<attribute status="recommended" name="emission_sector"/>
<attribute status="recommended" name="emission_sector_reference"/>
<attribute status="recommended" name="compound_group_members"/>
<attribute status="optional" name="comments"/>
</attribute_list>
</entry>

This design is:
- more in keeping with conventional XML designs;
- allows for additional forms of 'status' without changing the DTD/Schema;
- facilitates processing (you are parsing *only* XML; you don't need
separate code to parse
   the text string for each of your 3 original elements).

It is a matter of taste as to whether you prefer the above design of the
<attribute> element (i.e. with two (XML) attributes), or whether you
would prefer to have 'status' and 'name' as two sub-elements of <attribute>.

The following notes are not directly relevant to your suggestion, but I
might as well make the points now:

Note [1]
A similar argument as the above applies to the two <compound_...>
elements, which would I think be better represented as:
<compound name="..." codelist="..."/>
or
<compound>
<name>...</name>
<codelist>...</codelist>
</compound>
But it may be that this decision is already fixed in stone.

Note [2]
A similar argument applies to <canonical_units>, except here I think the
principled approach would be to use the W3C Units in MathML (
http://www.w3.org/TR/mathml-units/) or UnitsML (
http://unitsml.nist.gov/), since both represent a concerted effort to
develop a standard for representing units in a machine-processable
format. I can think of several reasons why people might object
vigourously to either solution: the current design is also already fixed
in stone; it is harder to write my hand; it is harder for humans to
read; it is much more verbose; and possibly quite simply that <entry>
may have to have a flat list of sub-elements (as per the first sentence
of this email). However, these standards exist for a good reason, and
we should have a good reason for not adopting them.

Cheers,
Robert