⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] support for multiple auxulary coordinate variables

From: Jim Biard <jim.biard>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:10:40 -0400

Hi.

The issue you are raising regarding coordinate systems and the grid_mapping attribute is something I have been wondering about lately. Doesn't the grid_mapping attribute more properly reside on the coordinate (or auxiliary coordinate) variable? Strictly speaking, the data values don't have a coordinate system. The coordinate values have a coordinate system. Moving this attribute probably represents too great a change, so perhaps what we need to do is propose a new attribute (named coordinate_system?) that would be attached to (auxiliary) coordinate variables. This attribute would contain the name of a projection variable. This way, N different coordinate systems could attach to the same data variable. The old "grid_mapping" method can be maintained for legacy purposes.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites
Remote Sensing and Applications Division
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard at noaa.gov
828-271-4900