⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dimensionality of Label Variables

From: Michael Decker <m.decker>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 09:33:37 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

I'm not really sure what the better approach is. So far I have never
seen more than the 1D case.
If the convention is left as general as it is, then I think it would be
helpful to provide an example of a mutli-dimensional label variable to
illustrate how it should be used.
And of course it would be good if such label variables could still be
identified unambiguously. I think this there is no problem right now -
but it should be kept in mind (if something gets rephrased or added).

Michael

On 03.09.2012 13:53, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Michael and Jim
>
> I agree that section 6.1 of the convention and of the conformance document are
> inconsistent. I don't have an example of a multi-dimensional string-valued
> auxiliary coordinate variable, but the convention does not exclude this and
> it might be useful. However the conformance document does exclude it and the
> start of the text of 6.1 talks about the use in a 1D case. So it's not clear
> to me whether it's better to restrict the convention, or to generalise the
> conformance requirements. I'd tend to the latter. What do you think? In either
> case I think we could regard this as a defect to be corrected, rather than a
> material change to the CF standard.
>
> Cheers

Michael Decker
Forschungszentrum J?lich
Institut f?r Energie- und Klimaforschung - Troposph?re (IEK-8)
Tel.: +49 2461 61-3867
E-Mail: m.decker at fz-juelich.de
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich