⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to include EPSG codes or WKT information in a CF file [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Timothy Hume <T.Hume>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:34:06 +1000

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the help. I can see that option 80 is probably better, but option 69 is a lot easier for software developers to bolt onto existing NetCDF files. Most of the people I talk to don't see why anyone is interested in anything other than latitudes and longitudes on a spherical Earth; all the stuff about shape of the Earth etc is irrelevant to their needs. The truth is, because most of the NWP data I use is on a rather coarse grid, the grid mapping information is not that important; two coordinate variables with the longitudes and latitudes is sufficient for most purposes.

Therefore, the path of least resistance is option 69 (with all its potential pit falls); I think option 80 will be too much, and a lot of data writers will simply decide to add no grid mapping information at all, a worse situation than option 69.

Cheers,

Tim Hume
Bureau of Meteorology