⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for sea level change

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:14:26 +0100

Dear Olivier

I think

> 1. tendency_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m/year)
> 2. tendency_of_sea_surface_height_above_sea_level (m/year)

are both fine as proposed standard names.

> 3. global_average_sea_level_change_amplitude (m)
> 4. global_average_sea_level_change_phase (degree)

also make sense, but I would suggest instead

amplitude_of|phase_of_global_average_sea_level_change

because "transformations" (like tendency_of) in the guidelines uses prefixes.
It's easier to parse (in the sense of language) the names like that. Is that
all right? I think that both of these standard names would need a mandatory
coordinate (it could be a scalar coordinate) of harmonic_period (s) - that's
my suggestion for a new standard name. In your case, the period would be one
year. In addition, a phase would need a definition for zero. How should that
be defined?