⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for sea level change

From: Lauret Olivier <olauret>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 14:46:23 +0200

Dear Alison and Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your comments.

1. Actually perhaps ?tendency_of_local_average_sea_level_change (m/year)? could be turned to ?local_tendency_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m/year)?, which seems to better reflect what the quantity really is? To give you an idea we basically compute the sea level trends at each NetCDF grid point to get a map like this one:

2. ?global_average_sea_level_change_(semi)annual_amplitude? and ?global_average_sea_level_change_(semi)annual_phase ? would be simplified and turned to ?global_average_sea_level_change_amplitude? and ?global_average_sea_level_change_phase?, I am fine with that. Are there any examples of using ?cell methods? with range with years? or ?range within half a year??

3. In literature the phase is usually defined by the initial angle of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function. In our case, from a geophysical point of view, the phase mainly corresponds to a date where the maxima of sinusoidal function is reached, that is to say when the range of sea level evolution is maximum. [(d/dt) sinusoidal function =0 implies date=- phase/? if sinusoidal function=A cos(?t+phase)]

I guess we should keep a classical definition for phase, I mean non-specific to sea level changes, because probably there will be other CF users for such information?

Olivier.