⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Reverse-time trajectory

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 13:49:45 +0100

Dear Richard

> Does CF really need to support unordered elements *within* a single[1]
> time series? e.g. Are there a significant number of real-time situations
> where the data from a single stream need to be written out of order to a
> CF file?

I think that's a reason for having the ragged representation, which mentions
real-time data as a canonical use case. Data can arrive in the wrong order, I
expect, even if it doesn't happen often.

> So somewhat contrary to my previous statement, my current thinking is
> table 9.1 should keep the "monotonically" and "ordered" descriptions,
> and these should be clarified by further rules stating their ordered
> nature even when expressed as an aux coord var.

I think it would be possible make such a restriction if you use the featureType
attribute, which indicates that the rules of sect 9 apply. But the use of
auxiliary coordinate variables for time already existed before sect 9 was
written, in what sect 9 refers to as the orthogonal multidimensional
representation, and that can be used without the featureType attribute.

Why not sort the data into monotonic order of time before using it?