⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Reverse-time trajectory

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:45:06 +0100

At the risk of getting boring...

Section H.2.1 contains the sentence (emphasis added):

  This has either a one-dimensional coordinate variable, time(time),
  provided the time values are ordered monotonically, or a
  one-dimensional auxiliary coordinate variable, time(o), where o is the
  element dimension.

This seems to imply that it's possible for the time values *not* to be
ordered monotonically, which is counter to the definition of a time
series.

My understanding is you can have either time(time) or time(o), but in
both cases the values must be ordered monotonically. If that's the case
I suggest simply dropping the conditional clause from the sentence to
leave:

  This has either a one-dimensional coordinate variable, time(time),
  or a one-dimensional auxiliary coordinate variable, time(o), where o
  is the element dimension.

In addition, we could add the following at the end of the paragraph:

   In both cases, the time values must be ordered monotonically.

Thanks for your patience!

Richard Hattersley AVD Iris Technical Lead
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
Email: richard.hattersley at metoffice.gov.uk Website:
www.metoffice.gov.uk