⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] identification of vector components

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:20:48 +0100

The CF Specification (http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/ch04s02.html) states:

'Optionally, the longitude type may be indicated additionally by providing the standard_name attribute with the value longitude, and/or the axis attribute with the value X.'

Which suggests that x and longitude are pretty closely bound concepts in CF. It feels to me like longitude is an x-direction, by this text, while other x-directions may also be defined. This seems to support a perspective which states that:

'where longitude is a coordinate variable, the standard_name eastward_*** is an alias for x_***. x_*** defines a vector quantity in the data variable's x direction.'

mark