⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Juelich checker

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:56:36 +0000

Dear all,

    we appreciate the recognition of our Juelich CF checker and I can confirm that we will maintain this tool during the coming years. There are certainly pros and cons for merging the code bases:
PRO: less work for each team, higher chances to catch errors, (if definition process is well defined) chances to catch ambiguities and other "features" before release of a new version
CON: as Dave states, independent developments can occasionally lead to "diverging oppinions" which can then be resolved

    Let me briefly point out two main factors that had prompted our CF checker development (and which we would like to preserve):
1) possibility to include this tool in interoperable web applications (see http://ogc-interface.icg.kfa-juelich.de:50080/upload)
2) automated test suite using python's unittest module

    We are currently leaning towards the proposal of merging code bases, mainly to save personnel resources, but also in the hope that independent eyes during the development lead to a better software. If we want to pursue this, it should be decided, however, how changes in the standard and new rules will be implemented and who takes responsibility for which parts of the code. We are currently investigating the possibility to set-up a Redmine system here in Juelich, which would allow easy access to a version control system, bug and feature tracking system and wiki for documentation. With such a tool, a joint development seems possible and would hopefully be transparent enough to satisfy user demands as expressed by Dave.

    Perhaps it would be most efficient if Rosalyn and Michael could have a little discussion about the virtues of each system and their own plans for further development. If this can be formulated in a consensus view (mini "white paper"), we would have a much better basis to decide on the way forward.

Best regards,

Martin

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich