⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Using add_offset & scale_factor with coordinate variables

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:35:13 +0100

Dear John

> Well, the netcdf-Java library will unpack coordinate variables, so
> any applications built with it will also.

OK, well done! I retract my comment.

Still, I expect that there is software in use to analyse netCDF data (on the
whole not specifically for CF) which knows about coordinate variables (because
that is a Unidata convention) but wouldn't expect to unpack them. We could
change the convention, but there would have to be a compelling reason, I think.
Can anyone remember if there was a compelling reason for excluding packing of
coordinates in the first place? I have a recollection it was a deliberate
decision.