⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] The use of CF cell constructs for point data

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:12:48 -0400

Jonathan:

(1)
At a conceptual level, I like your suggestions, but I do have a question ?

Why have you not used a "cell_measure" attribute in the event_energy data variable to associate this data variable with the event_area data variable as shown in example 7.3 in the CF standard (e.g. :cell_measures = "area: event_area" ?

Note that a lightning detection is actually a collection of events, but I thought it was best to work through the lightning detection product one piece at a time. There are other CF convention relevant complexities associated with this lightning detection product I have yet to communicate.

(2)
Should the CF convention standard be updated to state that a featureType of "point" can make use of cell constructs ? Currently chapter 7 starts "When gridded data does not represent ?..".

(Note that it may be useful for other discrete sampling geometry types to make use of cell constructs, but I know you are of the thinking to augment the standard on an as-needed basis.)

very respectfully,

randy