⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] The use of CF cell constructs for point data

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 16:57:00 -0400

Gents:

Once again?thanks for the feedback !

I need to provide some comments that (hopefully) provide some clarification on the characteristics of the product data ?.

(1)
I was imprecise when I said that a lightning detection is associated with an "interval of time". There are requirements that the product contains the start time of the lightning detection and the end time of the lightning detection. These times are based on lightning "events" detected by the sensor. I was thinking doing something like:

dimensions:

   time = UNLIMITED; (note that the number of lightning detections in a specific NetCDF file varies.)

   number_of_time_values = 2;

variables:

   float time (time);

     :units = "?.";
     :bounds = "time_bounds";

   float time_bounds (time, number_of_time_values);

With this design, each lightning detection really has 3 time values, one in the time variable (the midpoint), and two in the time_bounds array (containing the first and last "event" associated with the lightning detection)

(2)
We have a requirement to explicitly include the area of each lightning detection in the product (i.e. vertices are not required). So, I am looking for a CF compliant method to include the area of each lightning detection and associate it with the lightning detection energy, which is the primary data variable. I was thinking something like:

dimensions:

  number_of_lightning_detections = UNLIMITED

variables:

  float lightning_detection_energy (number_of_lightning_detections);

    :units = "?";
    ?
    :cell_measures = "area: lightning_detection_area";

  float lightning_detection_area (number_of_lightning_detections);

    :units = "m2";

very respectfully,

randy