⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] The use of CF cell constructs for point data

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 08:43:39 -0400

Jonathan:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

The GOES-R system will be producing a hemispheric lightning detection product.

It will be an array of lightning detection that occur within some number of seconds across the western hemisphere (i.e. it is not a gridded product).

A lightning detection has a center location, and needs to be associated with an area and an interval of time.

In the vein of maximizing the use of existing CF conventions:

(1) Classify the data variable containing this array of lightning detections as a featureType of ?point?.
(2) Use the cell ?bounds? construct to capture the time interval.
(3) Use the cell ?cell_measures? construct to capture area (i.e. ?:cell_measure = area: lightning_detection_area?).

very respectfully,

randy

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:16:20 +0100