⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean CTD data following CF Conventions v1.6

From: Upendra Dadi <upendra.dadi>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 13:02:22 -0400

Andrew,
> However I have another small concern about all of this. Given there is
> more than
> 1 way to treat dimensions does the netCDF plotting and visualising
> sofware out
> there understand both approaches. That is can we expect something like
> ncBrowse, IDV or ODV? give me a plot of say salinity vs. pressure
> and work OK with BOTH approaches to coding the netCDF?
   Software like ncBrowse do not understand CF conventions. They can
read netCDF files, but wouldn't know how to interpret the attributes
like "coordinates". So if you want to plot the profile location on a
map, for example, it wouldn't be able to do it by itself. It would need
to be told how to interpret the coordinates. A CF based software
wouldn't have to be supplied with the additional semantics since it can
read from the file by itself. But if you want to plot salinity vs
pressure, software like ncBrowse can already do it since lot of these
software make it easy to make plots based on a shared dimension. And
here salinity and pressure share the same dimension. So I guess, the
correct answer to your question is - it depends on what kind of plot or
task you want to do and if the software can understand CF conventions.

Upendra