⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean CTD data following CF Conventions v1.6

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:47:01 +0100

Dear Andrew and Nan

> If your pressure isn't monotonic, and so can't be a coordinate
> variable, I don't know
> whether it's preferable to demote ALL the coordinates to auxiliary
> coordinate variable
> status,
> TEMPERATURE: coordinates = "TIME,PRESSURE,LATITUDE,LONGITUDE" ;

I don't think there's a recommendation to treat the coordinates in the same
way. If size-1 coordinates are listed in the coordinates attribute, it is also
permissible to make them scalar variables and not define the size-1 dimension.
These are CF scalar coordinate variables. e.g.

  float lon;
  float lat;
  float time;
  float temperature(pressure);
    coordinates="lat lon time";

where all the variables should have units and standard_names as usual. It
doesn't matter what order is used for the coordinates attribute. Note that
it's a blank-separated list (not comma-separated).